Cottage break and enters, damage, and theft are serious concerns for cottagers, cottage associations, the police, and insurance companies.
Good crime prevention depends on community involvement, and ensuring individuals, and everyone in the community, are involved in crime prevention and fire safety.
Some steps towards safer communities include:
- Organizing cottage association members into cottage watch groups.
- Maintaining communications between property owners and the OPP to reduce the incidence of theft, damage, and break-ins.
- Assisting the police in crime prevention and detection.
- Promoting fire safety for rural properties, and the use of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in cottage properties.
- Promoting the use of engravers and property identification measures to help solve crimes.
What can I do about crime?
- Do not attempt to apprehend or pursue the criminal
- If the crime is in progress contact 9-1-1
- If a crime has been detected call 1-888-310-1122