FOCA asks

Federal election 2015 – have your say! (FOCA asks)

July 2015

FOCA Asked…

Dear Elections Canada:

On behalf of the many families our association represents, I am seeking your advice about options for voting in the upcoming Federal election (October 19, 2015).

Some of our members reside part of the year in one (Canadian) residence/electoral district, and part of the year in a different (Canadian) residence/electoral district.

Understanding that an 18+ year old, Canadian Citizen is entitled to vote only once in an election, could you please define what is required for someone to legally cast a vote at their chosen location?

Many thanks in advance for your response.

Terry Rees, Executive Director
Federation of Ontario Cottagers’ Associations (FOCA)

Elections Canada Responded:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Section 3 of the Canada Elections Act states that every person who is a Canadian citizen and is 18 years of age or older on polling day is qualified as an elector. Every person who is qualified as an elector is entitled to have his or her name included in the list of electors for the polling division in which he or she ordinarily lives and to vote at the polling station for that polling division.

In addition to being qualified as an elector, when you come to vote you must provide proof of identity and residence in order to obtain a ballot.

Acceptable proof of identity and address is:

Option 1

One piece of identification issued by a Canadian government, whether federal, provincial or local, that contains a photograph of the elector and his or her name and address; or

Option 2

Two pieces of identification authorized by the Chief Electoral Officer, each of which establishes the elector’s name and at least one of which establishes the elector’s residence.

Note: If the address contained in the piece or pieces of identification provided does not prove the elector’s residence but matches what appears on the list, the elector’s residence is deemed to have been proven.

In this situation, the elector may be requested to take an oath.

 Option 3

If an elector has proof of identification but does not have proof of residence, they may have their residence attested to by another elector, who lives in and is registered in the same polling division.

  • The attesting elector must provide proof of identification and residence, know the elector personally, not have had their address attested to, and not have attested to another person’s address at the same event.
  • Both the elector and the attesting elector must receive an oral warning and sign a written oath on the Oath of Residence Certificate in the presence of the deputy returning officer (DRO) who then authorizes the certificate and issues a ballot to the elector.

We invite you to visit our website to access Voter Identification at the Polls.

For more information on the Canadian federal electoral system, please visit our website or call 1-800-463‑6868, toll‑free in Canada and the United States. Our hours of operation are from Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).


Public Enquiries Unit
Elections Canada

Terry ReesFederal election 2015 – have your say! (FOCA asks)