March 2015: The Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) is currently reviewing the rules related to off-road vehicles (ORV) in Ontario, including:
- mandatory helmet use
- minimum ORV operating age
- rider training
- potential for extending on-road access to additional ORV types (e.g. two-up ATVs, side-by-side ATVs)
Please submit all comments on or before April 13, 2015 by email to SPEB@ontario.ca, or in writing to:
Ministry of Transportation
1201 Wilson Avenue
Building “A”, Room 212
Downsview, ON M3M 1J8
More information is available in this ORV Feedback Form.
Proposals under Consideration:
1) Amend Highway Traffic Act (HTA) Regulation 316/03 to extend on-road access to additional ORV types that carry one or more passengers (e.g. side-by-side ATVs, two-up ATVs, utility terrain vehicles).
2) Enhancing the existing off-road vehicle operating age requirements, including clear definitions for passenger age restrictions, and “adult supervision”.
3) Consideration of mandatory training for operators under the age of 16 years, similar to the requirements placed on snowmobile operators. Also, encouraging all operators to receive proper training on how to handle their vehicles.