Most of Ontario’s waterfront property owners rely on on-site wastewater treatment systems to manage our household water. Understanding how our systems work and the importance of maintaining them is important to protect our lakes and rivers from contaminants. View the links below for more information.
New – March 2018 – FOCA has released a video about Cottage Country Septic Systems, including an overview about the parts of a septic system, maintenance tips, signs of trouble and more! Scroll down this webpage to view the video, or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VeTGVnkYA4
February 23, 2018 – Having long been concerned about the inadequacy of the Ontario Building Code to deal with Maintenance and Management of onsite sewage systems (septic systems), FOCA, along with the Ontario Onsite Wastewater Association (OOWA) has filed a Request for Review with the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario.
July 2017 – No mandatory pump outs, inspections being included in the revised (2019) Ontario Building Code. “The Ministry will not be moving forward with the proposals put forth in Phase One of the Building Code consultation which would have required regular inspections, pumping out of septic tanks and keeping of the septic tanks and treatment units’ maintenance records .” For a more complete description of the background and the process to make this decision, please see this article in the Summer 2017 edition of the OOWA magazine. (PDF, 1 page)
Septic System Resources:
- Septic Systems – a FOCA Factsheet (PDF; 2 pages)
- Septic Smart: Understanding your home’s septic system (PDF; 12 pages)
- FOCA article, “Managing waste from septic systems” – from the Winter 2015/16 edition of Onsite, the Ontario Onsite Wastewater Association’s Newsletter
- Help! I need a new Septic System (PDF) – an excerpt from the FOCA Newsletter, Fall 2011
- Sewage System FAQ (PDF; 11 pages) from the Mississippi Rideau Septic System Office
- Septic Systems 101 (PDF; 37 pages) from the Ontario Onsite Wastewater Association
- On‐Site Sewage System Maintenance Inspections (PDF; 7 pages) from MMAH
- Source Protection Plans and Septic Maintenance – Progress, Challenges and Lessons Learned This article provides a summary of current septic system inspection programs across Ontario (source: Ontario Onsite Wastewater Association Newsletter – Summer 2015)
Need an onsite wastewater expert? Visit the Ontario Onsite Wastewater Association’s “Find an Expert” search tool.
- Septic Smart Videos from OMAFRA, and videos from FOCA: