FOCA wants lake associations to thrive! Our Member Associations have special access to resources and information that is tailored to help Ontario lake and road associations. Links to these resources are provided below…
NOTE: You will need your FOCA Member Login to access some of these materials. Apply by email, and we will send you back your member Login, during business hours.
April 2022 – Is your association incorporated in Ontario? Then FOCA’s recent webinar with Community Legal Education Ontario about the transition to the Ontario Not-for-profit Corporations Act (ONCA) is essential viewing! Members can review the recording, slides, and related documents:
Welcome Sheet / Binder for Newcomers
- FOCA’s “Lake Association Welcome Binder” is a full template your Association can personalize and circulate to new members and/or visitors to the lake. This amazing resource is adapted from a member Association’s own document, now available for you to customize, as part of your FOCA membership. Chapters include: what the Association does; water quality considerations; fish and boating best practices; emergency info; garbage and recycling; rental responsibilities, and more!
- If a full binder is more than you need, consider using a one- or two-page Welcome Sheet instead. Download a template from FOCA (PDF, 1 page) and add your own local highlights; or check out these samples from your fellow members:
Thank you for sharing your creations with us, members!
Member resources related to governance during COVID-19: Tips for holding an AGM during the pandemic, banking advice for not-for-profit account holders, governance advice during the pandemic, and more…
- UPDATE: *Note: extension of virtual meeting provisions to September 30, 2022. The government of Ontario has recently announced the extension of virtual meeting provisions to September 30, 2022. With the extension, organizations currently governed under certain legislation may continue to hold meetings, including Annual General Meetings, virtually for the next year, even if your bylaws do not specify this option. However, if you delayed your association AGM earlier this year due to COVID-19, and your association is incorporated, you need to move ahead to hold your AGM as soon as possible. Read details from our partners at BLG. Non-profit Law Ontario has also posted information here: https://nonprofitlaw.cleo.on.ca/recent-changes/
- FOCA tips for Associations for hosting an AGM during pandemic (FOCA, PDF, 3 pages)
- Volunteer Association Considerations for 2021, including liability issues (PDF, 4 MB; from the presentation at the AGM & Spring Seminar by FOCA & Cade Associates Insurance Brokers, Mar.2021)
- Volunteer Checklist during COVID-19 (PDF, 156 kB, Volunteer Canada, 2020)
- Liability Considerations for on-water events (FOCA & Cade Associates Insurance Brokers, YouTube video 5:41, Dec.2020)
- Banking Advice for Not-for-Profit Account Holders (FOCA, PDF, 1 page)
- Governance advice during COVID-19 (BLG, online)
- Annual meetings of FEDERAL corporations during the COVID-19 outbreak (Govt. Canada, online).
- Looking for more about Board and volunteer recruitment and retention?
- Association Risk Management manual and access to the member rate for the FOCA Liability Insurance Program – NOTE: this paid coverage also includes unlimited access to a Legal Helpline for your Association
- Facebook 101 for Lake Associations (PDF, 2 pgs)
- Association Webpage Offer from FOCA, to enable Associations to have a web presence (PDF, 2 pages)
- Information on rural road issues (including Who’s in Charge and How to get everyone to pay)
- Information on rural property issues (septics, taxes, land use planning, mining, energy and utilities)
- Tools and tips for working with various levels of government – “Who Does What?“
- Access to FOCA’s Lake Planning Handbook for community groups
- Updates on FOCA’s advocacy files and policy updates important to you and your community
- Fact sheets and videos on a variety of topics – feel free to share these resources! (Please credit FOCA as the source)
- Environmental stewardship resources and library
- Cottage safety information (insurance, fire, boating)
- Special offers and benefits from our corporate partners, including access to the first group insurance program for cottagers, exclusively available to FOCA members, and a teleconferencing offer for your Association
Looking for info on a particular topic?
1) Visit the Resources page and type a word (or words) into the “SEARCH” box to find all FOCA information posted on that topic.
2) Still can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact the FOCA office.