FOCA recognizes that occasional rental of our cottage properties has become a financial reality for some cottage owners. We hear from members interested in finding out about how to rent (and how to insure for rental), and also from those who have been frustrated by experiences with poorly-managed rental properties in their vicinity.
FOCA supports a philosophy of responsible use, that encourages cottage owners to:
- educate and inform guests about cottage country living and etiquette (see link to a sample visitor information sheet, below in Related Posts)
- work with neighbours to promote harmonious relationships
- be environmental stewards by ensuring the sustainable use of cottage properties, recognizing the limits of the existing septic system, road capacity and other community considerations.
Looking for more information on the topic of responsible rental? See the article from our partners at CottageLINK Rental Management, in FOCA’s 2017 Lake Stewards Newsletter (page 23: “Cottage Rental: What you should know.”)
FOCA has been following media reports about municipalities debating the regulation of cottage rentals:
- October, 2019 – Oro Medonte Residents rally against short-term rentals (Cottage Life)
- September, 2019 – the town of Huntsville is proposing to license and tax short-term rentals and vacation cottages by February 2020. Read the update, as reported by Cottage Life.
- August 1, 2019 – the City of Kawartha Lakes has created free “Short-term rental” posters (which include a description of fines for failure to follow local by-laws or regulations) and now has a webpage dedicated to the rental issue: https://www.kawarthalakes.ca/en/things-to-do/short-term-rentals.aspx
- February 1, 2019 – Dysart et al considering action to control short-term rentals (The Highlander)
- September 18, 2018 – Crystal Beach cottage rental crackdown continues, about recent council deliberations in Fort Erie (St. Catherines Standard)
- August 15, 2018 – City, residents to work together to resolve short term rental problems in Kawartha Lakes and further information posted to the City website
- August 9, 2018 – Highlands East to regulate short-term rentals (Highlander News)
- April 11, 2018 – City of Kawartha Lakes wants public input on short term rentals
A public meeting will be held May 3 at Kawartha Lakes City Hall to gather input on the issue
- Sept.26, 2017 – Seguin cottage rentals could be regulated in 2018 (ParrySound.com)
- and a Sept. 27th response, “We need less government, not more” (ParrySound.com)
- Sept.26, 2017 – Fore Erie Wades into Short Term Rental Market (NiagaraThisWeek.com)
- Also, a new study, released from McGill University, addresses the question of Airbnb and short-term rentals. See: http://www.amcto.com/BLOG/September-2017/New-Report-Suggests-Airbnb-Influences-Housing-Supp
- and, the October 2017 edition of the Muskoka Lakes Association‘s “NewsBites” reports that the Township of Muskoka Lakes formed a steering committee to consider a proposed short-term rental licensing by-law, following an October report from the Director of Planning to Council.
- Short-Term Rental – local regulation strategies (Municipal World, 2017) – “…A short, non-exclusive list of issues includes: taxes, neighbourhood relations/quality of life, land use, safety, trash, parking, fire and building safety, and neighbourhood character.”
- Ontario ruling about short-term rentals and zoning by-laws (Sorbara Law, 2015)
- Wasaga Beach – Illegal cottage rental penalty (Simco.com, 2014)
- Renting your cottage? Check the rules first. (MuskokaRegion.com, 2012)
5 benefits of cottage rental to rural and lakefront communities (provided by CottageLINK Rental Management, 2016):
- Help to maintain property values
- Support for the local economy
- Properties are regularly maintained
- Occupied properties are a deterrent to theft
- Contribution to cottage country awareness.
Click here to download an information sheet about responsible rental (PDF, 1 page) that you can circulate to your fellow association members.
Click here to read a blog by Heather Bayer of CLRM on the subject creating a great Welcome Binder for your cottage guests.
See more posts related to Cottage Rental, from our partners at Cottage Life Magazine: