COMING SOON – Join us this summer at an in-person event in cottage country:
- HALIBURTON region: Saturday, June 2, 2018 – hosted by the Soyers Lake Ratepayers Association Inc. (Great Room Haliburton Campus of Fleming College, 297 College Drive, Haliburton)
- MUSKOKA region: Saturday, June 16, 2018 – hosted by the Gloucester Pool Cottagers’ Association (Baxter Ward Community Centre, 279 Honey Harbour Rd., Port Severn)
- KAWARTHAS region: Saturday, July 14, 2018 – hosted by the Cavendish Community Ratepayers Association (Cavendish Community Hall, 32 Community Complex Dr, Buckhorn)
These events are free to members of FOCA member Associations, or $10 at the door for non-members. Pre-register with FOCA by email (email@example.com) or phone (705-749-3622) for times and locations, and to to secure your space, as seats are limited at some venues. Event times vary, but each event is two hours total, including presentation and question & answer session with the estate lawyer.
About the FOCA Cottage Succession Seminar Series
FOCA has been “on the road” with estate lawyer Peter Lillico for half a dozen years, bringing information to cottage owners about ways to keep the cottage in the family for the next generation. FOCA’s popular Cottage Succession Seminar Series encourages everyone to consider how they plan to “Keep the ‘Family’ in the Family Cottage.” Learn what you need to do NOW, to protect the family cottage for the future. Each session includes valuable information from estate lawyer Peter Lillico about:
- why to start the conversation NOW
- the importance of a cottage Sharing Agreement
- paying the Capital Gains Tax
- managing responsibilities and expenses to keep the cottage going once the next generation is in place
DVDs now available for FOCA Members!
DVD #1 – Keeping the ‘Family’ in the Family Cottage – an introduction and overview of considerations for starting your cottage succession plan, from estate lawyer Peter Lillico (recorded 2014)
DVD #2 – Cottage Sharing Agreements – an in-depth look at considerations for creating a Cottage Sharing Agreement, an important step in your cottage succession process, with estate lawyer Peter Lillico (recorded 2016)
Sept.2015 – Read this article about FOCA’s Cottage Succession Seminar series with estate lawyer Peter Lillico (source: My Kawartha)
Get additional notes from estate lawyer Peter Lillico about leaving the cottage to the kids, online here: http://www.lbghlaw.com/cottages.php
To contact Peter at his Peterborough office (tell him FOCA sent you!):
Additional info for our American friends with cottages in Ontario:
In early June 2016, FOCA met up with the American Friends of Canadian Land Trusts (AF) to discuss the connection between conservation and cottage succession planning for American owners of property in Ontario’s cottage country. AF helps U.S. taxpayers learn about and address the challenges of Canadian capital gains, and explore how they can create a conservation strategy for their lands that will meet their financial goals.