2019 Season – Contact FOCA now to plan an in-person event near you for next summer.
About the FOCA Cottage Succession Seminar Series
FOCA has been “on the road” with estate lawyer Peter Lillico for more than half -a-dozen years, bringing information to cottage owners about ways to keep the cottage in the family for the next generation.
How will your family manage the generational transfer of the cottage ownership? Learn what you need to do NOW, to protect the family cottage for the future. Each session includes valuable information about parts of the process. These sessions are free to members of FOCA member Associations, or $10 at the door for non-members. Each event is two hours total, including the main presentation, and question & answer session with the estate lawyer:
- KEEPING THE ‘FAMILY ‘IN THE FAMILY COTTAGE (recommended introductory/overview session) – Cottage succession planning overview, explaining the legal, tax and family issues that need to be addressed.
- AVOIDING ADVERSITY – Why a Cottage Sharing Agreement is the crucial foundation for shared future family cottage ownership; what protections and provisions they must include; and how best to develop one for your family.
- TARGETING TAX – How capital gains tax works; how to avoid it; techniques to reduce or defer it; planning approaches to fund it.
- TRUSTING THE COTTAGE – How a combination of trust techniques can combine to: retain control of the cottage by the parents for their lifetimes; ensure that the cottage passes to their children after their death without probate tax; provide protections for the cottage against children’s creditors or divorcing spouses. Referred to by Penny Caldwell in the early summer 2018 Cottage Life Magazine as “sweet and innovative”.
- COTTAGES AT THE CROSSROADS: Choosing the Path – This session assumes the cottagers want to keep the cottage in the family and explains the pros and cons of different succession vehicles: Direct personal ownership by children; corporate ownership; or trust ownership.
DVDs now available for FOCA Members!
DVD #1 – Keeping the ‘Family’ in the Family Cottage – an introduction and overview of considerations for starting your cottage succession plan, from estate lawyer Peter Lillico (recorded 2014)
DVD #2 – Cottage Sharing Agreements – an in-depth look at considerations for creating a Cottage Sharing Agreement, an important step in your cottage succession process, with estate lawyer Peter Lillico (recorded 2016)
- June 2018 – Peter Lillico is quoted in this article: “What to know about owning a cottage with friends or family,” Times Colonist.
- Peter is also the backbone of this article: “How to hand down your cottage while keeping the peace and saving money,” Cottage Life, by Penny Caldwell.
- “4 different ways families approached cottage succession,” Cottage Life, by Penny Caldwell.
- Sept.2015 – Read this article about FOCA’s Cottage Succession Seminar series with estate lawyer Peter Lillico (source: My Kawartha)
Get additional notes from estate lawyer Peter Lillico about leaving the cottage to the kids, online here: http://www.lbghlaw.com/cottages.php
To contact Peter at his Peterborough office (remember to tell him FOCA sent you!):
Additional info for our American friends with cottages in Ontario:
In early June 2016, FOCA met up with the American Friends of Canadian Land Trusts (AF) to discuss the connection between conservation and cottage succession planning for American owners of property in Ontario’s cottage country. AF helps U.S. taxpayers learn about and address the challenges of Canadian capital gains, and explore how they can create a conservation strategy for their lands that will meet their financial goals.