Heading out on your boat?
First, review the Transport Canada Safe Boating Guide (pdf; 79 pages) which includes a “pre-departure checklist” and detailed descriptions of the safety equipment required on various types of vessels.
Next, read these quick tips from FOCA:
Boating Tips to Prevent the Spread of Invasives! (pdf, 1 page)
- OPP Boat Notes brochure (pdf; 2 pages) – see an excerpt at right–>
- Cold Water Immersion (pdf; 1 page) (FOCA)
- Safety on the Water (Ontario Ministry of Transport)
- Boating Safety Tips: Boater Education & Resources (Discover Boating)
- Safe Boating Guide (pdf; 14 pages) (Davis Lake Cottagers Association, 2010)
You are also encouraged to check out all the resources available on the Canadian Safe Boating Council website www.csbc.ca.
September 2016 – Get end-of-season tips for safely preparing your boat(s) for winter storage, from Boats & Places. Click here to visit the online article.